Newborn Session Preparation
SCHEDULING YOUR SESSION
Newborn sessions are best if scheduled within the first 14 days. Within the first 7-10 days is ideal for a nice sleepy baby, so make sure to contact us as soon as you can after your little one is born. Sessions are the morning or early afternoon between 10 am and 2 pm. Evenings are not ideal for newborns because they tend to be more awake and are more likely to cluster feed.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- If you are nursing avoid spicy foods and caffeine for 24 hours prior to your session. Your little one's belly is getting used to your milk and this will hopefully avoid any gas or stomach issues.
- Try to keep your baby awake for one hour prior to our session. I know this is hard, but do your best - this will help ensure a very sleepy baby for our session.
- Dress your baby in loose fitting clothing that zips or buttons up the middle so if they arrive sleeping we can undress him/her easily without waking. Avoid oneness or clothing that will have to go over baby’s head.
- Feed your baby right before leaving for the studio. Even if it is not a regular feeding time offer them a feeding. A full sleepy baby is always best.
WHAT TO BRING
- If you are formula feeding or pumping make sure to bring extra milk and a bottle
- A pacifier for soothing
- Special items you would like photographed with your baby
PARENT AND SIBLING PORTRAITS
Parent and sibling shots are typically taken first. Family shots are taken on a black, white or tan backdrop. We recommend wearing solid neutral colours, especially grey, white, tan or cream. Older siblings can wear a light coloured shirt to match the gender of the baby, solid neutral colours, jeans and/or dresses for girls. Try to avoid busy patterns and graphics.
**Keeping the studio quiet and calm is crucial to achieving the best shots of your baby. Once the sibling shots are complete, we highly recommend that a spouse/partner take siblings home or out for something fun while we finish up.
SESSION LENGTH & DETAILS
For a Full Newborn Session plan on your session being around 3-4 hours. The younger the baby the less likely chance we will need all 3 hours, but we still recommend it to avoid any stress. Also, the studio is kept at a very warm during the session. This keeps baby warm and sleepy. You also may want to bring more comfortable clothing to change into after the family portraits are complete.
Upon scheduling we will discuss colours, props and ideas you have. I have blankets, baskets, hats, headbands, wraps, and many more props. If you have specific items you would like photographed, you are welcome to bring them to your session.
If you follow the above instructions on preparing your baby we will mostly likely have a successful shoot. But remember, we are at the mercy of your precious little one, so do not be overwhelmed if your baby is cranky or will not “cooperate.” We will still get many amazing photos that you will cherish for a lifetime.
To better prepare for your session I have a few questions for you to answer. Please fill out the Newborn Session Questionnaire below prior to our session. Thank you, I look forward to capturing some beautiful memories for you!
- Karina Fedorova (Mama Photography) takes extreme measures to clean our studio and provide a safe place to photograph our subjects. With the recent outbreak of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) we will be continuing our studio cleaning processes as well as taking extra measures to ensure both your and our safety. We ensure all equipment, props, clothing will be steralized/washed prior to client use. Studio space shall be disinfected between each client. Photographer will not complete your session if exhibiging any flue-like symptoms.
- Client understands that Mama Photography reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any session at any point in time due to COVID-19 implemented regulations, health concerns, possible exposure or arising symptoms of COVID-19 and is not liable for any costs accrued by the client (i.e. hair appointments, cakes, balloons, rentals) associated with my session. If Mama Photography cancels your appointment and is unable to reschedule, any session fees will be refunded.
- Client understands that client may be asked to wear masks during sessions, and are willing to do so. I confirm that myself and immediate family are not showing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19:
-shortness of breath
- Client understand any liability of health or illness occuring during or after your session, including but not limited to COVID-19, shall not lie on the photographer. Client understands the risk and exposure, while limited, of flu or COVID-19 and other illness is not the fault of the photographer.